Subject Leader for Geography
Subject Leader/Head of Department - Geography (MPS / UPS + TLR 1a)
Required for September 2021
Severn Vale School is a stand-alone Academy which provides an inclusive secondary education for students aged 11-16. We deliver strong student outcomes through high quality teaching. The school is proud of its inclusive credentials and, in an area that has retained selection, subscribe instinctively to the comprehensive ideal. We are a popular and over-subscribed school which has recently undergone an exciting build project to enable an increase in pupil admission numbers from 235 to 265 on entry, which will increase the school size from 1175 to 1325 over five years.
We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, enthusiastic and ambitious Subject Leader for our Geography Department. The successful candidate will, most importantly, be an exceptional teacher of Geography who can demonstrate the ability to teach effectively across the age and ability range and enthuse our students. This role represents an excellent opportunity for an outstanding teacher to develop their potential and leadership skills.
There is a strong emphasis on raising achievement in creative, innovative ways and a genuine commitment to collaboration and professional development. This is a school that believes in ‘growing great teachers’. We have a very high staff retention rate and believe that our focus on staff - who are our greatest asset - is one of our strengths. To enable our teachers to thrive we have:
- no centralised teaching and learning policies, but increased time for departments to develop subject specific pedagogy
- no graded lesson observations or other QA activities – everything we do is developmental
- no “Ofsted speak” at all – we do what we do for our students and the school community
- a firm belief in “more feedback, less marking”
- limited data collections (once a year following summative assessments)
- a research and coaching based culture
- a centralised behaviour management system with high levels of support from senior leaders and superb pastoral teams
- time and space for staff to develop in a way which suits them as individuals
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all members of staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointments are subject to enhanced DBS clearance and satisfactory pre-recruitment checks.
To apply please complete and return the application form, together with a covering letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your covering letter should outline why working at Severn Vale School appeals to you and what you believe you can offer as the leader of our Geography department. The letter should be no more than two sides of A4.
Prospective candidates are welcome to contact us before making an application. Please contact email@example.com for details.
Closing date: 17 March 2021
Interview date: week commencing 22 March 2021